Saturday, July 9, 2016

Have you ever actually read any of William Lane Craig's books?

The short answer is no, not any of his whole books. The long answer is, after seeing a lot of arguments from him in other forms (he even answered a question from me in his Q&A column), I don't believe it would be anything but a complete waste of time to read a whole book. Observe the following quote…

First of all, I think that I would tell them that they need to understand the proper relationship between faith and reason. And my view here is, that the way in which I know Christianity is true is first and foremost on the basis of the witness of the Holy Spirit, in my heart. And that this gives me a self-authenticating means of knowing that Christianity is true, wholly apart from the evidence. And, therefore, if in some historically-contingent circumstances, the evidence that I have available to me should turn against Christianity, I don’t think that that controverts the witness of the Holy Spirit. In such a situation, I should regard that as simply a result of the contingent circumstances that I’m in, and that if I were to pursue this with due diligence and with time, I would discover that in fact the evidence, if I could get the correct picture, would support exactly what the witness of the Holy Spirit tells me. (Source)

…And by the way, that’s not just something he said in an interview in the spur of a moment. I did research his actual scholarly work enough to know that his flagship book (Reasonable Faith) has a whole section on this, where he repeatedly reinforces the idea that the way Christians know Christianity is true is ultimately because of the self-authenticating witness of the Holy Spirit, so reason and rationality must only ever be subordinate to that.

See here (Google Books link is dead, but you can follow along if you happen to have a physical copy), the section starting on page 47 with the header “Role of Argument and Evidence.” Here are a few of the most damning quotes, if you don’t feel like reading the whole thing…

“I’ve already said that it is the self-authenticating witness of the Holy Spirit that gives us the fundamental knowledge of Christianity’s truth. Therefore, the only role left for argument and evidence to play is a subsidiary role.” 
“Reason is a tool to help us better understand and defend our faith;” [...That is, not to find out whether our faith is actually true or not.]
[Down on page 51] “Therefore, the role of rational argumentation in knowing Christianity to be true is the role of a servant. A person knows Christianity is true because the Holy Spirit tells him it is true, and while argument and evidence can be used to support this conclusion, they cannot legitimately overrule it.”

…In short, Craig admits over and over again that his entire worldview is based on a feeling, not facts, data, arguments, or evidence. He further admits that no amount of arguments or evidence would ever changes his mind, and even seems proud of that! He then compounds the sophistry of ignoring arguments himself while using arguments to convince other people, by reframing the feeling which serves as the basis for his belief in an intellectual-sounding buzz-phrase, “the self-authenticating witness of the Holy Spirit.” At the end of the day, he’s no different from all the Young-Earth Creationists who openly admit that they will simply dismiss any evidence which goes against their presuppositions. He’s not a bit different. But I’m supposed to respect his intellectual or philosophical acumen?

But wait there’s more; there’s also this other little nugget which he wrote right above that section on page 47…

“Therefore, when a person refuses to come to Christ, it is never just because of lack of evidence or because of intellectual difficulties: at root, he refuses to come because he willingly ignores and rejects the drawing of God’s Spirit on his heart. No one in the final analysis really fails to become a Christian because of lack of arguments; he fails to become a Christian because he loves darkness rather than light and wants nothing to do with God.”

…I don’t know about anybody else, but I know (just as fully and confidently as I know anything about myself) that the reason I’m not a Christian has nothing to do with loving darkness rather than light. But hey, William Lane Craig is the foremost Christian philosopher of our time, so he must know my own heart, my own motivations, better than I do, right? Pardon me if I’m skeptical.

So, just that quickly, in one short section of one of his thirty or so books, he’s completely torpedoed his intellectual credibility for me in not one, but two different ways. And that’s without even factoring in all the many things he’s said and done to torpedo his credibility for me in all of his many debates.

No comments:

Post a Comment