Monday, October 17, 2016

If God did exist, would you want to know, and would you follow him?

If the truth be known
Do you really wanna know?

These are really two separate questions, but I put them together because the first one has a very short answer. If God actually did exist in reality, then yes, I would want to know about it. I want my beliefs to be consistent with reality. While it’s unlikely that will ever be the case for all of my beliefs at any given time (as is true for all people, since we’re all drawing our conclusions from limited data sets), I still want it to be true as much as humanly possible. So the answer to the first question is an unequivocal, unhesitating yes.

That was the easy part. The second part of the question is harder, because it’s actually incomplete. To answer the question of whether I would follow (or submit to, obey, worship, etc.) God once I became convinced that such an entity really exists, it would be necessary to have a much better understanding of what his (or her, or its) characteristics were, before being able to make any decision whether they were worthy of my praise, respect, or submission.

Of course, if there were a theist in the room right now actually asking the question, they would probably say, “well, obviously, the God that I believe in would be the one who turns out to be real.” But then, you ask ten theists (even just among the three major monotheistic religions) to describe the characteristics of God, and you’ll get ten at least subtly-different answers.

But those subtle differences can have a significant effect on how I answer this question. If the god who is actually real loves everybody, then of course I’d worship him, why wouldn’t I? But if the god who is actually real “loves” everybody, in the narcissistic sense that they get a free ticket to paradise only if they happen to believe in him (regardless of anything else they’ve done), and everyone else gets tortured for all eternity simply because they belong to the wrong religion, then no, I don’t think I could worship such a monster.

Granted, if I was truly convinced that a god like that was real, then I might still knuckle under and submit to him out of the sheer visceral fear of unending torture for all eternity (how’s that for free will?), but I wouldn’t really love or respect him. And since God is supposed to be all-knowing, he should be able to see through that, so I doubt it would make any difference anyway (unless that God really does only want people to pay him lip service).

So ultimately, as with many theistic questions, it does very much depend on “which God?” But, since there are some readers who will probably want more of a straightforward answer, I’ll fall back on my upbringing and culture making Christianity the default setting for me. At present, I don’t feel that the god described in the Bible is one I would feel morally justified in worshipping or giving my allegiance to. A God who commits genocide (over and over again) in the Old Testament, and then condemns non-believers to infinite torture for finite crimes in the New Testament, I simply cannot see that as a just and loving god.

On the other hand, if we were talking more about a C.S. Lewis type of god, a wild and fierce, but ultimately loving and truly good Aslan-type god, who only keeps hell as a place of separation for people who don’t want to be with God in a perfect paradise for all eternity, then yeah, I could see myself being able to love and respect that type of god.

But unfortunately, I don’t see that as being what the Bible describes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment